THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE PRESEASON NFLPA TOP 50 PLAYER SALES LIST
Three months after he topped the 2018-19 year-end NFLPA Top 50 Player Sales list, Tom Brady is once again king of pro football’s player retail sales heading into the 2019-20 season. The first list of the 2019-20 season is based on total sales of all officially licensed NFL player merchandise, tracking year-to-date preseason results March 1 – May 31, 2019 for the most up-to-date, comprehensive sales figures currently available.
The NFLPA list is the only verified ranking of all officially licensed, NFL player-branded merchandise sold from online and traditional retail outlets as reported by more than 75 NFLPA licensees, such as Fanatics, Outerstuff, Nike, Fathead, FOCO, Funko, Wincraft, and more. NFLPA licensed product categories include video games, trading cards, men’s, women’s and youth game jerseys, T-shirts and hoodies, backpacks, wall decals, pennants, collectible figurines, matted and framed photos, bobbleheads, plush, drinkware and pet products, among others.
The Top 10 players based on all licensed product sold:
- Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, Cleveland Browns
- Khalil Mack, LB, Chicago Bears
- Sam Darnold, QB, New York Jets
- Baker Mayfield, QB, Cleveland Browns
- Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Kansas City Chiefs
- Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
- Antonio Brown, WR, Oakland Raiders
- Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Dallas Cowboys
- Saquon Barkley, RB, New York Giants
Below are highlights from the latest rankings:
- Five players from the 2019 NFLPA Rising Stars List jumped to the overall Top 50 list, including rookies Kyler Murray (No. 21) and Nick Bosa (No. 27) and veterans Davante Adams (No. 23), Lamar Jackson (No. 41) and George Kittle (No. 42).
- In addition to the five Rising Stars, four other players appeared on the Top 50 Player Sales List for the first time, including Jamal Adams (No. 16), Tarik Cohen (No. 37), Roquan Smith (No. 46) and Stephon Gilmore (No. 50).
- Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield substantially climbed from the NFLPA’s year-end list to the first quarter preseason rankings. Darnold leapt 36 spots from No. 40 to No. 4, and Mayfield rose 21 spots from No. 26 to No. 5.
- The New England Patriots and Chicago Bears are well represented on the list, with four players from each team finishing among the Top 50.
- The five most popular Nike jerseys were Odell Beckham Jr., Sam Darnold, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Baker Mayfield.
- Odell Beckham Jr. (No. 2) led all players in youth jersey sales from Outerstuff, Fanatics and Nike, followed by Julian Edelman, Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Saquon Barkley.
- Fans who followed the college careers of Saquon Barkley (Penn State), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma) and James Conner (Pittsburgh) drove the stars to top 3 status in collegiate jersey sales by Nike, adidas, Under Armour and Fanatics.
- Tom Brady, Baker Mayfield, Dak Prescott, Rob Gronkowski and Shaquem Griffin (ranked outside the Top 50), sold the most Funko Pop vinyl collectibles.
- Fathead wall decals and cutouts of Tom Brady, Saquon Barkley, Baker Mayfield, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Ezekiel Elliott were fan favorites. Barkley was No. 1 in collegiate co-branded Fathead products.
- Sales of bobbleheads by Forever Collectibles were led by Tom Brady, Baker Mayfield, Julian Edelman and Patrick Mahomes II.
- Tom Brady and Antonio Brown drove licensed headwear from New Era.
- Dak Prescott appeared in a lot of backyards, ranking as top seller of cornhole boards by Victory Tailgate.
- Baker Mayfield sold the most licensed drinkware from Wincraft, besting his new teammate Odell Beckham Jr.
- Patrick Mahomes II sold the most Hallmark ornaments by a wide margin.
- Tom Brady sold the most socks by Freaker, cake toppers from DecoPac, framed memorabilia from Highland Mint, pet jerseys from Pets First, and commemorative coins and medallions from Bradford Exchange.
- Antonio Brown sold the most player calendars by The Lang Co. as well as more than double the next player in fashion jewelry, hair accessories, key rings, magnets, pendants and pins from Aminco.
- Sam Darnold sold the most Outerstuff children’s apparel, followed by Odell Beckham Jr., Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell.
- 500 Level t-shirts featuring the likenesses of Patrick Mahomes II, Baker Mayfield, Tom Brady, Odell Beckham Jr. and Julian Edelman were top sellers.
- Patrick Mahomes II, Baker Mayfield, Carson Wentz, J.J. Watt and Dak Prescott made up the top 5 in drinkware sales from Boelter Brands.