NFL players have an undeniable influence on the buying decisions of fans. In a new survey, the NFL Players Association and Morning Consult polled 2,000 adults to gain insights into their behaviors, attitudes and opinions. From fantasy football, community impact and the power of endorsements to purchasing influence by generation and social media engagement, the NFLPA sheds light about the favorability and purchasing influence of NFL players and how fans of all ages are interacting and engaging with NFL players.
Top 10 key findings:
- A majority of adults (54%) are likely to purchase a product endorsed by a player who has been on their fantasy football team
- A majority of NFL fans (67%) and parents of NFL fans (77%) are likely to buy a NFL player-identified product, which includes featuring a player’s name, likeness and/or jersey number
- 79% of NFL fans root for players on multiple teams, and overall, affinity for NFL players transcends teams
- Personality, community impact and involvement in charities are most important in the perception of NFL players
- Adults who follow NFL players on social media are most likely to watch their live videos (49%) and share the players’ posts on their social media pages (42%)
- Millennials (47%) are most likely to purchase a product that is endorsed by their favorite NFL player
- Endorsements from NFL players are the second-most influential in purchasing decisions (24%) – musicians rank No. 18
- 1 in 3 adults (35%) say seeing a product endorsed by their favorite NFL player gives them a more favorable opinion of the brand.
- More than a third of adults would purchase a product from a brand that sponsors their favorite NFL player (36%)
- NFL players rank in the top 5 athletes that are good role models for kids – 2 in 5 adults (39%) back up this belief
Download the report here to reveal insights about the favorability and purchasing influence of NFL players and how fans are interacting and engaging with NFL players.