Tom Brady once again sits atop pro football’s player retail sales list, based on data foreshadowing the 2019-20 season. Below are highlights from the NFLPA Top 50 Player Sales List, including sales of all officially licensed NFL player merchandise through the pre-season (March 1-August 31, 2019), which are the most up-to-date, comprehensive sales figures currently available.
The NFLPA list is the only verified ranking of all officially licensed, NFL player-identified merchandise sold from online and traditional retail outlets as reported by more than 75 NFLPA licensees, such as Fanatics, Outerstuff, Nike, Fathead, FOCO, Funko, Wincraft, and more. NFLPA-licensed product categories include video games; men’s, women’s and youth game jerseys; T-shirts and hoodies; backpacks; wall decals; pennants; collectible figurines; matted and framed photos; bobbleheads; plush; drinkware; and pet products, among others.
The Top 10 players based on all licensed product sold are:
- Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
- Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Kansas City Chiefs
- Baker Mayfield, QB, Cleveland Browns
- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, Cleveland Browns
- Khalil Mack, LB, Chicago Bears
- Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Dallas Cowboys
- Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
- Saquon Barkley, RB, New York Giants
- JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Dak Prescott, QB, Dallas Cowboys
Below are highlights from the latest rankings:
- Tom Brady is the only player to lead the NFLPA’s quarterly Top 50 Players Sales List seven different times, including twice as year-end retail king. This also marks a record 16th appearance for Brady in the top three since the Player Sales List’s inception in 2014 – and he has never ranked outside of the top nine.
- Several players made big jumps from the preseason rankings, including Patrick Mahomes II (from No. 6 to No. 2), JuJu Smith-Schuster (up 16 spots to No. 9), Lamar Jackson (up 15 spots to No. 26), Leighton Vander Esch (up 14 spots to No. 35) and Adam Thielen (up 12 spots to No. 16)
- Phillip Lindsay, Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins jumped from the 2019 NFLPA Rising Stars List to their first-ever Top 50 list appearances. Rising Stars rankings consider on-field performances, early demand from current partners, fantasy league popularity and new faces in strong markets as factors for sales popularity analysis.
- The Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets are well represented, with four players from each team finishing among the Top 50. The New York Jets and Los Angeles Rams boasted three players each.
- Top five jersey sales combined from adidas, DCM, Fanatics, Nike and Under Armour were powered by Ezekiel Elliott, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Tom Brady and Dak Prescott.
- Among sales of collegiate co-branded product from Under Armor, Patrick Mahomes II’s Texas Tech replica alumni jersey led all players, followed by J.J. Watt (Wisconsin) and Cam Newton (Auburn).
- Funko Pop! Vinyl sales featured Baker Mayfield ranked No. 1, followed by Tom Brady, Shaquem Griffin, Carson Wentz and Odell Beckham Jr.
- Hallmark’s NFL player sales were led by Patrick Mahomes II’s special edition Itty Bittys plush and JuJu Smith-Schuster’s holiday ornaments.
- Dak Prescott, Larry Fitzgerald, Tom Brady, Ezekiel Elliott and Jason Witten were best sellers of licensed headwear from New Era.
- Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes II, Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham Jr. were the most popular players among framed memorabilia from Highland Mint.
- Sales of bobbleheads by Forever Collectibles were led by Patrick Mahomes II, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Brady, Baker Mayfield and Ezekiel Elliott.
- Tom Brady sold the most commemorative coins and medallions from Bradford Exchange.
- 500 Level T-shirts featuring the likenesses of Patrick Mahomes II, Baker Mayfield, Saquon Barkley, Tom Brady and Khalil Mack were top sellers.
- Fathead wall decals and cutouts of Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes II, Baker Mayfield, Saquon Barkley and JuJu Smith-Schuster were top five fan favorites.
- Baker Mayfield, Larry Fitzgerald, Patrick Mahomes II, J.J. Watt and Dak Prescott sold the most school spirit promotional product from Wincraft.
- Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes II, Baker Mayfield, Carson Wentz and Jason Witten were the top five in sales from drinkware licensee Boelter.