The NFLPA Externship is the premier opportunity for NFL players to gain valuable experience with top organizations across the country.
Provide NFL players with an opportunity to gain experience, discover career interests, build new skills, and make valuable connections.
April 1 - June 30
Selections & program offerings are finalized before start of regular season
October - January
February - March 2019 (exact dates TBD)
• Leads to second career options,
• Informs decisions to pursue academic interests, including the elimination of opportunities that are a poor fit,
• Assists in expanding members’ professional network, and
• Increases skill competency and confidence.
• Beyond travel and lodging expenses, partners are not expected to compensate the players as part of this program
• During the program, we will coordinate with each partner to determine a time for an in-person visit to ensure all is running smoothly for all involved and facilitate potential content capture.
• Typically, the application opens in October-November each year. The application deadline for the 2019 program has tentatively been set for January 14, 2019.
• Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis. After the NFLPA screens applicants, referrals of those who qualify are made to the partners. We ask that partners participate in the process by conducting their own applicant interviews to make final selections. When possible, partners should reach out to schedule interviews within 1 week of the initial referral.
• To fill all positions, we suggest making offers as soon as possible after concluding interviews. Players begin to schedule their off-season activities during this time frame and competition for other positions/opportunities will be present. We anticipate the entire interview and selection process to conclude by mid to late January.
Yes! Future job placement is one of the primary focuses of this program. While many of the previous participants are either still playing or very early in their transitions, we have had players like Reggie Smith and Eddie McGee who were hired upon the conclusion of their Externship experiences. Other players like Will Allen have gone on to work in similar fields taking the knowledge and skills learned during the program.
We are always looking for opportunities to expand our career and professional development services for NFL players. If your organization is not selected to participate in this program, consideration for involvement in other services may be an option based on your selections within the application and again, the interests of the players.
Become an extern and prepare for opportunities now and in the future with experience from top organizations around the country. From broadcasting and technology to politics and events, this program is designed with you in mind.
February - March 2019, exact dates TBD
Dependent on Partner
Coming Fall 2018
A LOOK BACK
Michael Thomas to Work on Capitol Hill
NFL Players Will Try Working Retail at the NBA Store
New York Post
Dontrelle's Diary: Life of an NFLPA Extern -
Front Office Sports
Inside the Program Training NFL Players for Life after Football
ABC Good Morning America
Two Players Prepare for Life after the NFL
CBS This Morning
Dobbs Staying Busy This Offseason
Terps Partner with NFLPA for Externship Program
University of Maryland
Former Browns Participating in NFLPA Externship Program
SB Nation Dawgs by Nature
Political Football: NFL Players Spend Three Weeks Working on Capitol Hill
The Washington Post
A Tale of Two NFL Interns
NBC Los Angeles
Seahawks' K.J. Wright Looks Ahead to Life After Football
710 ESPN Seattle
Plugged In: A.J. Francis, Washington Redskins